Biography of Praful Kumar Jena
Name: Praful Kumar Jena
Date of Birth : 27 December 1931
Location : Odisha, India
Praful Kumar Jena is an Indian metallurgist and scientist at the National Institute for Interdisciplinary Science and Technology. Not only this, but he is also the former director of the Council of Industrial Research, Bhubaneswar. Jena was born on 27 December 1937 in the state of Odisha in India.
He has obtained a bachelor’s degree in Chemistry. After that he obtained a master’s degree in physical chemistry from Utkal University. He has obtained an MS degree in Metallurgical Engineering from the University of British Columbia.
In the early days of his career, he worked as a Senior Scientist in the Metallurgy Division of Bhabha Atomic Research Center Trombay. He has also worked as Professor of Metallurgical Engineering in Banaras Hindu University. PK Jeena has also served as the Director of Regional Research Laboratory of Scientific and Industrial Council, RRL.
PK Jena has also been the Distinguished Professor of Tata from the Department of Metallurgical Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. PK Jena served as the Director General of CSIR from 1972 to 1986. PK Jena worked as Visiting Professor at the Potical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Lohokar University, Sendai, Japan. |
PK Jena has also been a former President of the Natural Resources Development Foundation. PK Jena has focused his research on the upgradation of ores and minerals. He is known for his developed methods for recovering metal values from industrial waste and recovering coal fines from tailoring to lower iron prices and lower iron profits.
He has also contributed in the fields of chloride metallurgy of non-ferrous ores and extraction of nickel cobalt copper, lead, zinc vanadium and manganese. Jena was the founder president of Bhuvaneshwar’s Institute of Physical Sciences, Planetarium. Not only this, Jena is also the founder president of NRDF and IATES Bhuvaneshwar.
- Indian Academy of Sciences and Institution of Engineers India and is a partner of Indian Institute of Metalssa.
- Jena is the former president and member of the Indian Science Congress Association.
- Jena has received the National Metallurgist Award in 1969.
- In the year 1977, he has been honored with the Paghashree Award by the Government of India.
- Since 1998, he has received the Institute of Engineers India Award.
- Jena has received BHU Vishisht Seva Puraskar in 2008.
- In the year 2012, Jena has received the prestigious Scientist Award from the Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology Shivpur.
- In 1999, he has received Odisha Bigyan Academy Senior Scientist Award.
- Jena is a recipient of lifetime achievement from Renshaw Chemistry Alumni Association, Renshaw University in 2008 and Institute of Minerals and Materials Technology.